Monday, 27 May 2013

First Ever Mixed Media

Mixed media is all the rage just now with everyone giving it a go and people making it look easy so I joined the crowd.    Today again I wanted to try out something new.  I have loved watching everyone's art on YouTube using a variety of mixed media mediums and I have wanted to try one for a while now.  As some of you will know I LOVE Graphic 45 paper and very soon a new collection is due out, which I have per-ordered, and for this project I really want to have a mixed media front cover.  So I needed to get in some practice.

Many people on YouTube have inspired me and their skills and knowledge as they create their crafts is just beautiful and amazing to watch unfold.  +Luvleescrappin . and Rach0113 ( have been two of my favourites.  Their videoe on YouTube are definitely worth watching if you are looking for techniques and suggestions.

I started with a piece of my Graphic 45 paper and using my Tonic paper distress tool I roughed up the edges a bit.  I have never used this before so it took me a little while to get the finish I wanted.  I'm still at the stage where ripping my paper feels very uncomfortable haha but I am beginning to change.

Next I took some metal objects I had and as this is to be a page and not a canvas I was a bit wary of overloading the paper.  I used some charms, broke up some staples, used eyelets and I twisted some wire to make a couple of shapes.  I used Glossy Accents from Ranger to adhere them down and then painted them with white Gesso.  I wanted to make some dimension and I had seen someone use masking tape so I used this to create a frame of sorts.  I also used some dimensional gel I had called DecoArt 'Paper effects' in clear.  I have had this for a while as I hoped it would be similar to Glossy Accents but I just didn't find it the same but I'm a hoarder so I still had it.

Once dry, although admittedly I was crazy impatient and as I don't have a heat gun it was still a bit wet, I started to add in some colour.  Rachel uses some amazing colours of paint so I had to get them.   These are Lumiere  acrylic paints in Pearl Blue, Pearl Violet and Halo Blue Gold.  I also had some silver Starlite Silver Pearlescent Brilliance pigment ink, which I used as a highlighter.

I continued to play around adding colour, adding highlights and trying to add balance.  Now I am not an artist as such and the last time I used paint was 30years ago at school and I was not into art in any way back then.  So I have no style, I don't know what I'm doing, I have watched hundreds of hours of mixed media projects so I am hoping some of these tutorials have filtered into these aged brain cells, which at my age are much less than previous.

I then added some IAmRoses flowers and really just kept adding them until I felt I had enough, if there is ever such a thing.  I had taken the cut out from the Steampunk Debutante paper and after laying it down felt I needed more dimension so I tore up some tissue paper and used Deco-patch in gloss to adhere it down.  

I then used white Gesso over the flowers and frame to bring down the colours and to help tie the page all together.  

This is a butterfly I also tore and added in.  I  added colour to the areas with Gesso and then left it to dry, which was hard cos I just kept wanting to play with it.

+Luvleescrappin  uses Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays but I have been unable to get hold of these in the UK. I have been using Rangers Perfect Pearls and added these to mini misters and sprayed throughout to add some glimmer and sparkle.  

So here it is, the end result.  

Thankyou for stopping by, hope you are all having a great day crafting around the world.  Take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment