Saturday 25 May 2013

The Flying Man: A Steampunk Story

The Flying Man from the Steampunk Debutante collection from Graphic 45.
Welcome to another blog and a further page of my Steampunk Debutante mini album using the amazing Graphic 45 paper collection.



                                               Here is the finished page which has wooden elements, mental embellishments and has a 3D effect.


                                                   To start my page I prefer to fold down the edges on all sides.  I use my scoring board and score at 1/2 inch on all sides then snip into the folds to allow the sides to side without added bulk.  I do this with all my pages as I feel this provides additional strength and stability, not just for the present but hopefully in the years to come.


                                                 This is how it looks adhered down.  I tend to do both shorter ends first then the longer ends as I will be having additional photo mats in between the pages and having the seam this way I feel minimises pulling or tearing of the seam and photo mat when putting them in and out.


                                                      I fussy cut the picture of this flying man from the paper and separated him from the hand and blades.  I used black VersaCraft Ink in Real Black on the wooden gears and then added a Graphic 45 brad to the smaller gear and metal button to the larger one.     


                                                                I also fussy cut one of the large butterflies from the paper, cut it in half then adhered it under the button with glue. 


Having fussy cut around the hand and blades I then adhered it under the page and added a platform underneath to raise it off the page.  I used a 3/4 inch piece of black card stock and creased this to create a rectangle before adhering to both the page and the underside of the hand.


                                                           You can see the platform in this picture.  I also fussy cut two more butterflies, applied Glossy Accents to highlight the wings and adhered one to the hand and the other to the smaller gear.  All the cut outs and page were inked with Black Soot Distress Ink for effect.


                                                      I positioned the larger gear onto the man's back to reflect the steampunk butterfly is helping him to fly.  However, he doesn't quite trust this butterfly so he has springs on his feet to bounce just in case!  Raising the hand and blades allowed me to change the use of the blades from part of the mechanics of his flying machine to that of a wind machine to help blow him to help him fly.  I hope it reflects this to you.  


Thanks for dropping by, have a wonderful crafting time and speak to you again soon.
X
Pauline









2 comments:

  1. This is fab! Love all the fussy cutting.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leah. Your my very first comment woo hoo. These pages were pure indulgence. I had such great fun. I need to get the cover completed but had other projects take priority.x

    ReplyDelete