Saturday, 25 May 2013

Flowering Beauty: A Steampunk Story

Graphic 45 have this amazing collection and i have finished another page from my Steampunk Debutante mini album and am proud to share this with you.  On this page I wanted to try out a few ideas I have seen other artists use, which I have found  effective so I hope you enjoy my first attempts.

                                                             To start I fussy cut some of the flowers from the paper and some leaves.  I used one of the frames that comes with the collection but changed the inside picture to the one above.  As with the other pegs all the edges of the paper and cut outs have been inked with Black Soot Distress Ink.  I had considered using either Vintage Photo or Walnut Stain but decided on continuing with the theme.  However, I think using another choice equally would be effective.

                                                          This is the part that was new for me.  Ripping the paper, aahh this was so scary and I almost changed my mind.   I wanted the edges to curl and not just ripped so I used a darning needle to help roll it then adhered it down.  I chose to adhere the curls down simply because of the type of project it is as once finished the pages will be turned and touched and I didn't want the curl to flatten. If the page was to be within a shadow box or similar I think leaving it would been fine.  I then added a cut out flower into the gap and purposely left some black from the page showing as I think this helps define and make the flower pop more.  I hope you think so too.

                                                            The flowers I arranged around the page and adhered only the edges nearest to the sides to enable a tag or photo to slip in behind if wanted.  I also overlapped some of the flowers and raised one onto pop dots to add dimension and layers.  

I wanted the frame to lie flat onto the page as many of my previous pages have been raised and felt this page needed to be different but still interesting.  So rather than having it completely flat to co-ordinate with the curls on the opposite side of the page I curled one edge of the frame.

                                                           The frame was then adhered behind the flowers on the left side, along the bottom and on the right side I also raised it slightly off the page and adhered it up about 3/4 from the bottom only, leaving the entire right edge free to allow a photo to be placed within the frame if wished.

                                                           The inner part of the frame I wanted to have the option of being semi-permanent, moved or removed so this was placed at an angle for effect and only low tack foam strip.

                                                                I then ripped the opposite corner to add symmetry and added two of the stamps for design.

                                                                I hope you enjoyed this walk through and hope this inspires you to be creative.  Please feel free to add comments, I would love to hear how you feel this mini is developing.

Have a wonderful day and may your days be filled with all things inky and gluey.

No comments:

Post a Comment